October 31, 2023

Comparing Sella vs. Poshmark: Which Platform Is Best for Online Selling?

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Are you looking for places to sell clothing, electronics, or home décor online? Both Sella and Poshmark can help you do just that, but the services have notable differences that may make one better than the other for your specific selling goals. This guide compares Sella vs. Poshmark to help you decide. 

What Is Poshmark?

Poshmark is an online marketplace for secondhand fashion. Sellers can set up a digital closet on Poshmark to sell clothing and accessories for women, men, and kids, as well as other items, like home décor and electronics. Poshmark offers convenient selling through its mobile app, which lets you list items in just a few seconds.

How Does Poshmark Work?

Start selling on Poshmark by taking photos of your items and placing them for sale in your digital closet. Poshmark sends you the packaging and labels you need to ship your items, so you won’t have to worry about finding boxes and figuring out which shipping service to use. 

Poshmark also has Posh Parties you can join to interact with other Poshmark buyers and sellers as you buy and sell items together. 

What Is Sella?

Sella is a service that helps you sell your items on multiple marketplaces like Craigslist, eBay, and Poshmark. Sella’s team of resale experts takes photos of your items, writes their descriptions, and suggests pricing designed to help your items sell. 

How Does Sella Work?

Closet with hanging clothes, handbags, jewelry, and other accessories
Photo by Rachel Claire from Pexels

Sella was created to help people like you sell on eBayline conveniently, even if you have no prior selling experience. Simply mail your items to Sella or drop them off at a nearby Sella Hub to have Sella start listing them on eBayyour chosen marketplaces. You can choose to list on just one or all of the marketplaces Sella works with.

Sella suggests pricing for each item, but you’re free to change prices at any time. You can also modify product descriptions and stay in control of your listings as much or as little as you’d like. 

Comparing Sella vs. Poshmark

What Can You Sell?

A pile of neatly folded sweaters
Photo by Nati from Pexels

Poshmark’s primary focus is clothing, but you can also sell home goods, electronics, pet products, accessories, and beauty and skincare items. Any pre-owned items must be clean and in good condition, but beauty and skincare items must be new.

Sella accepts most items that make sense to sell, like new or used clothing in good condition, small appliances, working electronics, and antiques. Items must be able to fit in the trunk of a car and cannot weigh more than 40 pounds. Generally, items sold with Sella should also be worth at least $40 for the best chances of success. 

How Do Sella and Poshmark Protect Sellers?

Poshmark has a program called Posh Protect, which protects both buyers and sellers. The program offers protection against buying scams, allowing you to request an investigation if you run into any buyers who try to scam you out of paying for an item. Additionally, lost packages are protected by Posh Protect.

Sella lets you cancel your listings that haven’t sold within 60 days of placing them for sale. You’ll only get charged for your initial deposit and any initial costs, like eBay listing or marketplace fees, incurred from listing your items. You can have your items shipped or delivered back to you for a fee, or you can visit a Sella Hub to get your items returned to you. Sella also has a Pay It Forward program if you’d like to donate your unsold items instead. 

How Do Fees and Payments Compare?

Poshmark charges a 20% commission for all sales of $15 or over, leaving you with 80%. Sales under $15 get a flat commission of $2.95 instead.

Sella charges $5.99 to prepare your items for listing, plus low listing and storage fees. eBay charges separate fees, including a $0.35 listing fee (once you’ve used up an allotted 250 free listings per month) and a final value fee, which varies based on the types of items you’re selling.  Some marketplaces that Sella works with also have separate fees for services, like listing or final sales fees. 

For example, eBay charges 15% of the total amount of the sale for women’s bags and handbags if the total amount of the sale is $2,000 or less. For items with a total sale amount of more than $2,000, eBay charges a fee equal to 9% of the total amount of the sale. When your items sell, you get 90% of the sale minus these associated fees, while Sella keeps 10%. 

Learn more about Sella’s pricing

The Bottom Line

Person removing a shirt on a hanger from a clothing rack
Photo by RDNE Stock project from Pexels

Poshmark and Sella make selling online easy and straightforward. 

If you only have a few pieces of clothing or accessories to sell, Poshmark can be a good option. However, if you have multiple kinds of items to sell at one time, or you simply don’t have the time or the expertise required to handle all the legwork like taking photos, writing listing descriptions, and managing your listings, Sella is the perfect solution. Our resale experts can help you get it done quickly by listing items on eBayappropriate marketplaces for you, managing your listings, and arranging shipping or meetups with buyers. 

Both servicesmarketplaces leave you with a decent profit, and Poshmark and Sella are both highly transparent about their fees and commissions. However, with its 90%/10% commission structure, Sella could get you a better profit on your sales

Discover how Sella works to decide if it’s right for you.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a better alternative to Poshmark?

If you want to sell used clothing online, Poshmark is one of the best places to do so, especially if you like socializing with others when selling. Alternatively, if you’re unsure if you have the time to sell your itemson Poshmark yourself, you can sell them on eBay withget help from Sella. Sella lists items for you on Poshmark and other marketplaces, like eBay and Craigslist, and you get to keep 90% of your profits.

Is it cheaper to sell on Poshmark or with Sella?

Poshmark’s commission is 20% on most sales, leaving you with 80% of the profits. Sella takes just 10%, so you’ll keep 90% of your profits. 

How does Sella differ from Poshmark?

Poshmark is an online selling and buying marketplace focused mostly on clothing, although sellers can also list electronics, home décor, and other items. Sella helps people sell their items on eBayPoshmark and other marketplaces by taking photos, writing listings, managing listings, negotiating with buyers, and arranging shipping or meetups.